Sunday 8 May 2016

Endurance – it’s a mind thing



Noun: -   the fact or power of enduring or bearing pain, hardships, etc.  The ability or strength to continue or last, especially despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions; stamina:


Learning to run has been an interesting experience.  I know that the science dictates the length of time and distance, you can choose from one of a hundred programmes to follow.  But they don’t tell you much about the bloody mindedness you need to overcome the mental state that you go through.


Start of the run – ooh, that feels a bit achy and sore, ooh why I am so out of breath, running was easier yesterday now I feel heavy and lumpy. Need to walk and catch my breath...

Middle part of the run – ok feel good.  Hey I can run a bit!  I can run a little faster maybe – ok, not that fast, need to walk again.  How many miles have I covered?

End of run – hey, I am sweating, but I feel ok. I can probably run at least another 20 minutes. I am a runner.

One hour after run – argh my legs, I can’t walk. Everything hurts.  Must go running again tomorrow...


During the walking bits, when going through the doubting phases and hurting parts, the thing that springs to my mind all the time is “endurance” and not the fitness kind of endurance “The ability of the muscles to sustain rhythmic motion over a prolonged period”  but the fact that you need to “endure” the training, the pain in the legs, the feeling of being out of breath and unfit, the ability to get up out of bed when you would rather surf the net, the deep breathing and rhythm of running that needs to keep going, without stopping for longer and longer.

I have found that the word “endure” is often in my mind – “Can I endure this?” “How long can I endure this?” – and it made perfect sense that endurance training, is all about your own mental ability to be able to endure the training for as long as possible – and that way not only do you get physically fitter, but you also get a small measure of mental toughness by knowing and understanding that you can do it.  You can endure.  You can keep going.


I find that I need to compare the level of uncomfortablness with something that I know really hurt in the past.  This is a relatively easy one for me since I have not long come out of hospital and suddenly the pain in my legs goes from an 8/10 in terms of pain, down to 3/10 when I think back on things. But you could use times when you also learnt to “endure” - maybe a broken heart, childbirth, broken leg, loss of job. Basically, anything that hurt you.  Find things in your life that you have got through. That you came through and although it hurt at the time, you made it.  These thoughts and images are a great measure that helps with running.

Now, I am sure that normal runners and athletes will scoff at this – because they have the fitness to cope. But if you are new to running like me, and have goals set that you want to reach, then you need as much mental resilience as you can.

I wish you luck on your endeavours. I have managed 16 miles in my first week towards 50 miles for May (OutRun MacMillan). As I run, that word runs through my head...endure...




No comments:

Post a Comment