Sunday 22 February 2015

Decision Balance Sheet




A “Decision Balance Sheet” (DBS) can help you evaluate the pros and cons of making changes and can help you start to take up exercise or even take on a new exercise challenges. Sometimes, we want to make changes – such as losing weight, getting fitter, having a healthier lifestyle. But there are often “reasons” or “barriers” as to why we never seem to get around to it. These barriers are often real but can be perceptions too and understanding what our barriers are will help us overcome them. 


By using a DBS you will be able to help yourself make the changes that you want.  This is because the DBS can highlight the positive benefits of change – and no one is likely to change unless the gains are greater than the losses! 


Here is an outline of how a DBS works – and on a quiet Sunday, why not sit down for 20 mins and do your own?  It really helps.

First, you need to get 2 pieces of at least A4 paper (or more if you need!).  You can just scribble away or if you like being creative - go for it with colours, highlighter, stickers and drawings!

You will need to be 100% honest with yourself here.  No-one is going to see or read this, so there is no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed of the things you are writing down.  By being honest, you will gain good understanding to how you think and feel when you are approaching changes and you will be able to put in place things to help you overcome this.

Now, on your sheet you need draw a line down the middle.  Title one side Gains to Self and title the other side Losses to Self.  On each side you have 3 questions that you need to answer.  These are:-

  • On Gains to Self
    • Important to Others,
    • Approval to Others
    • Self-Approval


  • On Losses to Self
    • Important to Others,
    • Disapproval to Others
    • Self-disapproval


Here is an example of how this might look for someone who wants to lose weight and take up exericse:

  • Gains to Self – Better Body, More Energy, Loss of weight, Clothes fit better, won’t be so embarrassed going on the beach on holiday,
  • Important to Others – I will feel healthier so I can play sport with my children, I will be more attractive to my partner – OR I will be able to go to the gym with my friends and they will like that, OR my doctor will be pleased that I am brining my weight into a healthy range
  • Approval to others - My children would like to see me more active, my partner would like me to lead a healthier lifestyle,
  • Self-approval -   I will feel more confident
  • Losses to Self – I will have less time to spend on my hobby
  • Important to Others – I will have less time with my family; I will have less time to devote to my work
  • Disapproval to Others – my boss thinks it will take time away from work
  • Self-Disapproval – I will look silly exercising as I am not fit

These are of course just guidelines.  You now need to do your own – they can be as short or as long as you like

We know that increased awareness of the benefits of exercise and gains to you for both physical and mental health can help you overcome barriers you may have and be more receptive to change.  So, much to gain and nothing to lose – this is just a paper exercise; the next step is of course doing it...! Have a look at other people and see what they do, get a friend to come along with you, give yourself a treat or reward and maybe pin your balance sheet up on the wall to remind yourself as to what you are aiming for xx






No comments:

Post a Comment